Monday, August 11, 2008

Return to Ha Long Bay

Susan and I are in Ha Long Bay. We came on the same kayak trip that I did two years ago with Dr. Chiu. At that time, I thought it was one of the most stunning landscapes I've ever seen and best seen from water level on the deck of a kayak staring up at the huge rocks. I never really thought I'd return. But now we're back and it's no less amazing, and even better that Susan is with me (no offense Peter). We did two days of kayaking among the limestone islands, camped on the beach, swam in the protected lagoon, and even played some Chinese chess with the locals.

Now we're spending a night on Cat Ba Island, which is the developed heart of Ha Long Bay. It's a pleasant enough town with a waterfront promenade. On the weekends, I'm sure it's packed with people, cars, and motorbikes from Hanoi. But now in mid-week it's fairly empty and last night the main road was taken over by a group of kids playing soccer. Unfortunately, it's been pouring rain all day, so we're ready to move on to the next destination.

Photos soon when we find a card reader.

No comments: