Friday, August 15, 2008

Wandering Souls

Yesterday was a holiday here in Vietnam: Wandering Souls Day, kind of a Vietnamese day of the dead. It's based on the Chinese lunar calendar, and related to a faith of ancestor worship. People build small shrines to their ancestors, with flowers, snacks, incense, and the like. The temples were filled with people praying and burning incense. All over the city, people were out on the street building little pyres and throwing in fake notes and other papers. It does wonders for the air quality. I think this woman might be trying to burn down the tree.


We are wandering too. Susan is headed back to San Francisco and then to a family visit in Chicago. With Susan gone, I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself for the next few weeks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi adam, great blog, keep up the good non work

Anonymous said...

If you combine this photo of Susan with the photo of her feet from an earlier blog entry, you get a complete picture. Nice.

Anonymous said...

I take it Hanoi isn't having the same out-of-control fire season that California is.

I think graham cracker and hershey's should try to become corporate sponsors of Wandering Souls Day. I see a great product tie-in there. is that blasphmeous?