Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Upriver


Yesterday I traded in my conical hat for a saffron robe, and I'm now in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I took a boat up the Mekong from Chau Doc, Vietnam, near the border (photo at sunrise shown above). The boat was a small speedboat with room for about 12 passengers. After a quick 1 1/2 hour stop at the riverside immigration shack (inset), we cruised into Phnom Penh. It was a beautiful ride and a great way to approach the city, watching the Khmer spires of Phnom Penh slowly come into view.

More on Phnom Penh later. Meanwhile, here's a scene you don't see every day on the streets of San Francisco:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's not true, i totally saw a humongous elephant about to trample a saffron-robed monk a couple of times right off Guerrero. I think it's usually around 24th, which is why I guess you might have missed it.
But now that you've mentioned it, you'll probably notice it all the time once you get back home.

varatz said...

once in a while, maybe. but not every day.

Unknown said...

No, I have to agree with AK on this one. I know that monk. He is actually an international mob boss. The elephant is his enforcer. The monk pretends to walk the high road, and then the elephant steps on you. It's kind of like running for president - you don't say anything bad, but the people behind you step on people. Yep, they are a team. I saw them in NYC about a month ago, and then in Bakersfield about a year and a half ago.

Jeremy Shaw said...

isn't 'saffron robe' cambodian for 'kalashnikov sling?'