Tuesday, July 8, 2008

First steps in Hanoi

Xin chao everybody - It is my third night in Hanoi and things are going well so far. Most importantly, I found a place to stay for the month, a nice little apartment north of the old quarter near the Tay Ho (West) Lake - photos coming soon. Unfortunately, we are on the wrong side of the levee. Hopefully it doesn't rain too much this year. Care packages and reverse-direction postcards can be sent to An Duong 6 Duong 1. Two Belgians named Jacques and Christine are living here, they are here for the year, and were looking for a new roommate - they are incredibly friendly and have been showing me around the neighborhood. It is also nice to be able to buy at the markets, cook a meal, etc.


I will also be starting Vietnamese lessons tomorrow through Hanoi University. Classes are given at the Vietnamese History Museum (pictured). Hanoi is much as I remembered it - motorbikes rule the land and crossing the street is a death-defying endeavor. But there are some very tranquil and beautiful spots. I'll send more about the city soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hanoi U - Go Big Red!

Anonymous said...

If it keeps on rainin, levee's goin to break,
If it keeps on rainin, levee's goin to break,
When the levee breaks Ill have no place to stay.
Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan