Monday, July 21, 2008

A New Hairstyle

Last week, it got too unbearably hot carrying a small furry animal around on my head, and I went to go get a haircut. Don't get too excited - it's still long, just shorter. Just down the street on An Duong there is a guy with a barber chair on the sidewalk and a set of rusty scissors and combs.

I wanted to have it cut short, close-cropped to my head, but I was unable to convey that to my new hairdresser. So he set to work cutting it, and honestly I had no idea where he was going with it. That's what you get for 30,000 dong (about $2). But actually, I'm very happy with the way it turned out: shorter on top, and shaved back around the ears, and he cut off a significant amount of ponytail - when down, it ends above my shoulders. My Vietnamese teacher Huong says I look like an Italian soccer player, which I guess is a complement. Plus it definitely keeps my head a lot cooler.

Here's a photo of me (not sure if you can really see the difference), and of the guy who cut my hair (the one with his hands in the air). He's a real pro.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you save some locks of hair to send to your mother?

Eric said...

BE CAREFUL ADAM! I THINK YOUR MOM MIGHT BE INTO VOODOO

Sarah said...

i demand a close up!

Unknown said...

We need multiple closeups from different angles!

Anonymous said...

Wha? Eh?-huh? I still think this comment thing is confusing. HEY VARAT CAN YOU HEAR ME? WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR HAIR? IS IT HOT THERE??